About Me

We were married August 30, 2008 in the Manti Temple. We both graduated in education. I then became a stay at home and Adam became a stay at school student. He returned to college to become a Physical Therapist. And thus our life is about discovery and adventures that we get to do together.
Leelou Blogs
Powered by Blogger.

By Leelou Blogs

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pop-uuu-lar



I have never seen the Broadway play Wicked before.  But I have listened to the songs and am on my way to one day going and seeing it.  But until then, I was listening to the song "Popular" and trying to come up with dance, scene, and those characters who might be in it.  While doing so, I started thinking about the term Popular and how far I have come from my grade school to high school to even college years of 'trying' to fit in.  Let's face it, I was in many ways a nerd.  I was very 'churchy', I had the glasses, some of the smarts, and well, my way of style might not have been the style of the time.  But I liked it... it was mature. Right?. hmmm... anyway.  I was amazed to find that I still, in many ways, try to 'fit' in with those who I might think of being, well, Popular. 

For example, in my ward there are those who would be considered in the high class of living.  The nice cars, credit cards that are used in paid off in the month, homes are posh, and well, they would be under the category of what is deemed as popular.  I don't really talk much with them.  Just a simple hi, you look great, and whatever I can seem to bring up, but nothing lengthy or full of substance.  Around August 2010, all that changed, for some reason they started conversing with me.  Can anyone tell me what happened in the month of August 2010?  That's right, Miss. Talkative, Bubbly, Fun Loving, Gabby herself. 

I don't blame them for talking with me so that they could hold Gabby.  I was finally in the circle until I realized that that was the ONLY reason they were talking with me.  One day, one of the said individuals was holding Gabby, as I reached out to grab her the girl thanked me for letting her hold Gabby.  I then smiled and said, "I don't know what we are going to do when we move..."  I took a pause at this moment, in which time she inserted, "Oh don't worry we will replace her with another baby."  I wanted to say, before she inserted her unnecessary comment, that I will have to hold her a lot more because I won't have so many hands to help me out, but I just smiled and walked away. Let's just say that she nor the others have held Gabby since. 

Ok, not really, but I have been tempted many a times to withhold that privilege. 

I suppose I wanted to know that Gabby and our family were being loved because of who we are, not because she fills some void because they have chosen to 'enjoy' life rather than have their own children.  But, I am deciding to let it go... for the sake of all the love that I have for them and because I do not know their situations.

I suppose it was the protective, offended, mother coming out and I was wrong.  Being popular is all in the eyes of the looker.  And I need to look in a different way. Or at least not look just to find popularity in others eyes or definitions.  

Well that feels good.  Another lesson learned.  Got to love it. 





The End.  Some cute pictures of Gabby.  The most popular girl I know :)

2 comments:

  1. A BLOG POST!!! YAY!!!! :)

    she is getting so big... but so am i.... hmmmm?

    Miss you... i hope you come visit me when my popular one comes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! You are hilarious, and I miss you.

    ReplyDelete